Saturday, June 02, 2007

Crete: Sougia -> Hania

Crete: Done.

After 26 days meandering around the island, clocking up over 300kms on my poor little blistered feet, walking 45kms in one day, up 1km and down 2kms another, we have done it. Was it worth it you ask? Yes, yes it was.

The last few days went by really speedily as we cruised along the coast. We got caught in the rain on the last day which put a bit of a dampener on the mood, but we got stuck in a taverna waiting for a bus for 4 hours which justified some celebratory drinks.

Here are my boys, big ups to them for putting up with me for so long.

Andrew Roxburgh: Was sick as a dog but can still walking hundreds of kilometres


Cam Davis: He won Crete 5 -3 - 1.

We spent a few days in Hania, staying at a nice place with lots of character, the room smelt pretty bad by the end of it.


We hired a Suzuki Samurai and cruised around for a bit. I drove around on the right hand side of the road, it was fun as. Although there were moments when Rox had to give me a friendly reminder to get off the left side, and other times where I had to pretend we were pedestrians and just weave through the intersections. Good times none the less.


We went to see the War Memorial at Souda Bay. Here 467 New Zealanders are buried here from the 1941 Battle of Crete, we laid a poppy (courtesy of the Rangiora RSA) and had some reflective moments.

We also met up with a random kiwi chick we met on CouchSurfing.com . She is a horse trekking guide and allowed us to help her set up, so I am now a horse brushing guru, the best advice I can offer is to just go with the flow.

So we have now done Crete, good and proper. It is a fantastic place, I highly recommend it, and if you are interesting in doing the E4 trail I am happy to hook you up with some info.

Right now I am in Santorini... I think I will post about that separately... so I won't sign off with my usual wit.

2 comments:

  1. Just read your blog for the first time ... 2 years after Crete, it was really nice.... dont have the words to describe but you captured our journey well. Its a trip I'll never forget and I say thanks for having two unstoppable monsters for friends through thick and thin...
    Cam

    ReplyDelete