Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cairo - Part I

"Welcome to Cairo. It is now 6:20am local time and is 16 degrees Celsius...". Oh boy. Landing in Cairo was quite surreal, looking out the window at all the ... brown. So many buildings, so massive. It was feeling like a completely different world until I shared a joke with a border security guy with a machine gun who spoke no English... what was the joke you ask? Pretty much that I am massive. I am stoked I am massive here as well as in NZ. I am still me!

Cairo itself is super super awesome. I can only compare is Suva but about a billion times more massive (smells kind of the same). Its really brown and dull, yet vibrant and exciting at the same time. It was described to me as the City of Contrasts... which it very much is. Today I slept a lot after a long (yet surprisingly comfortable) flight, aside from the dude in front of me who thought his chair was broken as it wouldn't lean back... those are my knees man!

Just had dinner with Fiona, a new friend of mine, at the Best Egyptian Restaurant in Cairo (Ab Elsid). We were joined by Renee, the New Zealand ambassador, that was pretty cool. Also smoked some apple Sheesha... now that is good stuff. Its not often stuff you breathe is tasty, not like smoking at all! The taxi ride out there was an experience, the traffic and drivers here are fantasticly crazy, and there can't be any WoF by the looks of it, my Mirage would have loved it!

Cairo rocks.. and I haven't even seen any 'touristy' stuff yet. No pics right now sorry, I am working on it.

Dam... I love it!

2 comments:

  1. your fantastic blog deserves a fantastic comment. well. i failed in the fantastic bit but here is a comment anyway. Aw man it sounds awesome! apple tobacco sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tony!

    Cairo sounds so cool!! I feel very glad for you that you have so much fun over there.
    Can't wait to have you in Germany and show you around! We have Sheeshas and Apple tobacco, too... ;)

    Lots of greetings from "Ze Germans"!!
    Yours, Mel

    ReplyDelete