Tuesday, February 06, 2007

White Rock

I was thinking about calling this post my Tour de White Rock, but unfortunately it has already been taken, so you will have to settle for simply 'White Rock'. White Rock, in case you aren't aware, is a small area in North Canterbury, and is (or was) home to such infamous things as Richard Loe, a killer dog and lots of yellowish white rocks.

Most importantly though, it is my home. It is where my heart it. It is where my mummy and daddy are... boy I love them. So below is a collection of pictures I took today as I was cruising around the district.

Yes, we even have a sign now. Just in case you thought you were somewhere that wasn't awesome.

This is my parents house. On the veranda is my cousin Ellen doing her best JetStar impersonation. I will admit it though, her back flip she showed me moments after was far more impressive.

Where it all began. It was here at this hoop that a young Tony Hawke practised through out the late 90's. It was here that a young man dared to dream, to dream of one day emulating his hero: Rob Hickey. You may not believe this but once Rob Hickey looked me in the eye (I was up on a step) and wished me luck for a high school game... I bet he still remembers that moment as vividly as I do.

The billiard table. Had some good games on this. I play my Grandpop every Christmas, and pretty much any family gathering. We are pretty evenly matched, except he has far superior skill, patience, experience, knowledge and accuracy... but I still have the height advantage.

"The Yards". Notice the Lime Works in the distance, the rocks are white... note also the grass is green. I for one am pretty happy they called it White Rock and not Green Grass.

And finally, this is looking down from the top of Okuku Pass. I really only included this so you would be impressed that I biked up to the top of the pass. Its not much of a view, but if I was on a peak, it wouldn't be a Pass now would it.

In 40 days I will have some much more exciting photos so stay tuned.

Enjoy your week and Happy Waitangi Day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tony,

    This is Candice in Cape Town, South Africa. I enjoyed reading your blog, that's quite a sense of humour you have there......... Nice pics too, quite a talented photographer..........

    Anyway, just thought you might enjoy a little comment from someone half way around the world.

    Keep blogging!!!

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, White Rock... such good memories... hacking, Fox's creek, bombs, harassing Lauren, fruit cannons, nearly rolling my car in the paddock, pool, fireworks, watching all three Star Wars movies in a row, goofing around in the quarry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say other than the Hawkes are people you "look up to" and to think tony was short once theres a thought. Yeah I agree with candice the photos are getting sharp.
    White Rocks good... but not just cause you have a sign, but cause of the folks on Q road.
    speaking of signs aren't they often given to places that were and now are not... hmmm ponder it

    ReplyDelete