Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Switzerland: Interlaken, Bern, Lucerne, Zurich

So... as you may or may not have noticed I am a little behind on the old blog updates. Seems I am always apologising about that too, so I will just get straight into it.

After Milan I took a very scenic and tunnel-ful train to Interlaken. I am not to hot on German, Italian or French (or what ever else they speak in Switzerland) but I am pretty sure it means something along the lines of "between two lakes", which it ironically is. Here I spent two nights in a hostel, something I generally avoid but turned out alright. I did some hiking in the Swiss alps which was nowhere near as impressive as the Italian alps due to the low cloud, but it was still very cool and very Swiss. Got myself a hot chocolate with a British climber at some mountain refuge above a glacier.

After Interlaken I hit Bern which, if my memory serves me correctly, was pretty cool. Was old, Swiss and had a bit happening. Cool part was a big concrete pit full of bears. The Einstein museum was pretty neat, seems the Swiss claim any famous person as there own who ever lived in the country for more than a few days (or so some Germans told me).


From there to Lucern which is actually really beautiful. A neat river through the city to a big lake. Lots of cool bridges, old building, city wall with call towers and good chocolate and bakeries.


Then Zurich. Zurich was really cool. I didn't expect much so my expectations were well exceeded. Quite a cool old town, but very new as well. Best part was the night life.... went to a really cool Ska concert in the park then hit a club which had a Icelandic band playing who were absolutely fantastic! No idea what the genre was, perhaps contemporary folk? Had a great night out.

Also went swimming in the river which runs thought the city. It was a hot day and heaps of locals were out. There was a really strong current, so you would jump in one spot then float a few hundred metres then climb out real quick before you got washed away. Good times.


Sorry about the poor descriptions, but it was a while ago and I just want to get something up here. Anyway... next stop was Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment