Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Italy: Naples

You know how everyone says they love Italy and how fantastic Italy is and how you have to go to Italy. Well, I figured there was probably some truth in it but was sceptical about any country that everyone said was awesome, how could it be? Would I love it? And if I did, would I love it like I love ice cream or like I love bread? Would I get the instant gratification ice cream offers yet come away either hungry for something else or super sick or it? Or will it be a consistent love like that of bread where you always come away with you hunger abated yet it is sometimes a lot of work to get it done and often requires a spread?

Well, you will be pleased to learn that Italy in fact combines both ice cream and bread! Literally and figuratively. I love Italy! It is super cool. And you can get Gelato (ice cream) in a sweet bread roll! So the cliche is right, everyone loves Italy (I am sure there are exceptions...)


Naples is south of Rome and is a very cool City. As we got off the train you get the impression it may be a little dirty and smelly, but that is what makes it so great. It is real. There are heaps of different people lurking about and the pizza is fantastic (very different from Winnie Bagoes pizza so you can't compare, Winnies is still the greatest. Naples pizza is simply dough, cheese and tomato paste.... yet is ever so tasty).
From Naples we also explored Pompeii, the Roman city de-stroyed by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79AD. It was very cool in that it was an entire city of houses and shops etc, rather than just a temple. We also stayed a night in Salerno, just south of Naples. From here we went for a walk along the Amalfi Coast which is super super beautiful. Steep cliffs coming down into the ocean. Some bush, lots of cool houses built up along the coast.
Naples was very cool, and if the cities up north are as good as they claim to be then I feel every second word of my future posts will be "awesome", or I will simply not be able to describe them.

1 comment:

  1. good to here you loved your gelato- did it induce the song?
    Great to see you were able to combine the food and Italy, and all in ice-cream and bread... no coffee? (are you sure you are your mother's son?)

    ReplyDelete